Friday, September 30, 2011

Will Miss #371 - vinegar drinking


What's for dessert? Vinegar, of course!

Of course, when I say I'll miss drinking vinegar, I don't mean me personally, but the fact that the Japanese do it. And it's not that "only" they do it, because apparently folk medicine worldwide claims vinegar will cure everything that ails you. It's more the pervasiveness of vinegar for drinking and how it is more fully integrated into the culture and mindset as something people just do. While I'm sure there are raw foodies, hippies, and those who think modern medicine leaves something to be desired who stir a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water everyday and knock it back in Western countries, they're not having new products styled to suit their desire to ingest a little extra vinegar nor entire boutiques dedicated to vinegar beverages.

I'll miss the infusion of this (somewhat dubious) habit in Japanese culture.