Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Won't Miss #316 - ramune


Ramune is a type of soft drink which is associated with summer in Japan. You often see it on offer in its distinctive bottle design. All food and drink is strictly a matter of personal taste, and its not the flavor of ramune (that I don't much care for, but that's beside my point) that I take issue with. The first thing is that the bottle design is irritating. You can't see it in my picture, but many ramune bottles have a marble lodged in the top which is supposed to help keep it fizzy as you drink it. Instead of helping the carbonation stay in, it just makes it hard to drink. I don't know about you, but in the hot summer, I don't want to have to have particular skill to ingest a cold beverage. The other, rather lesser, issue, is that ramune is often sold under one catch-all name but comes in various flavors. Most of the time, it's like lemonade, but sometimes it tastes like bubble gum or other flavors. You can never be quite sure what you're getting unless you follow the same brand all of the time.

I won't miss ramune.