Friday, January 14, 2011

Won't Miss #277 - bribing/paying back victims


In Japan, there is a curious habit of allowing criminals to bribe or pay back the victim so as not to be charged with a crime. My first experience with this came via the news that my successor at my former job, a Welshman, was arrested in a post-soccer game brawl and held in prison (without charges or bail) for 21 days. At the end of his stint, the instigators (who were Japanese) paid him between 3,000,000-4,000,000 yen (~$34,300-$45,700) in order to compensate him for the trouble. I find the idea that one can commit a crime and simply pay the victim or return stolen money or goods to avoid jail unsettling.

Of course, there is some small consolation in the fact that repeat offenders aren't let off the hook so easily, but it still seems like justice is not being served and I won't miss it.