Thursday, October 21, 2010

Won't Miss #246 - need for extreme AM quiet


Sometimes I wake up really early and can't go back to sleep. No big deal, right? It happens to everyone. Well, when you live in an apartment which is the total size of most Western living rooms and separated by doors which are the equivalent of cardboard when it comes to sound insulation, you can't do anything for fear of waking the other inhabitants of your home and forcing them to face the same sleep deprivation you are dreading. Hungry? Can't make breakfast. Want some much needed caffeine? Can't make coffee or tea. Want to get dressed and go for an early walk? Can't get clothes out of the dresser (or open and close the front door). Television? No way! I can't even turn on the light because it can seep through the cracks in the doors and possibly wake my husband up. Sometimes I just sit at my computer listening to the clock tick until my husband wakes up thinking about how I'll be glad when he does so that I can actually do something other than focus on how crappy I feel in my sleep-deprive state.

I won't miss having to be still and quiet when I wake up earlier than my husband because my apartment is the size of a shoebox and has walls with the insulation properties of a matzo.