Thursday, October 14, 2010

Won't Miss #243 - screeching amado

 The amado are behind Batman's motorcycle.

I'm written before about the virtues of amado, metal shutters that slide across your windows and lock in the center, and how I like how they provide multiple benefits. I wrote that post in the winter and forgot about the bad side to them and that is that they often very loudly screech when opened and closed. Apparently, part of the maintenance fee I pay for my apartment can't be squandered on a little oil for the shutters. The reason I didn't think of it in the winter is that my windows are closed and I had forgotten how grating they are when my 5 neighbors (who appear to open and close them every single day) move theirs. Personally, I only open or close mine when there is a reason (about 4x a year). One of my neighbors goes to bed at around 7:00 pm and gets up at about 5:00 am and during the brief periods when it is temperate enough in Tokyo to leave the windows open, the loud sound of what appears to be metal on metal wakes me in the early morning hours and disturbs my students during their evening lessons.

I won't miss the painful fingernails-on-a-blackboard noise of amado being opened and closed.