Saturday, May 29, 2010

Will Miss #177 - chicken breast with skin



Japanese people eat chicken skin. When I say that, I don't mean they just eat the skin when they cook chicken. You can buy grilled chicken skin in some bars and restaurants (nothing but skin). You can also buy packs of skin at some butcher shops. For me, I'm not a fan of eating the skin, but I do prefer that it is on my chicken breasts because if you cook this cut without the skin, it's very easy to dry it out. Also, my husband does like eat it when it's cooked nice and crispy (it's also good for collagen when you slow cook most of the fat out). Most American chicken breasts are sold without the skin because American consumers are more concerned with the calories in the skin than its utility when cooking or flavor and texture.

I'll have to learn a different way of preparing chicken breast (which is my favorite and frequently consumed cut of meat), and I'll miss the flavor and texture improvements that you get with cooking chicken breast which still has its skin on.