Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Will Miss #103 - neighborhood mystery house


Within a 1 minute walk of my apartment, there is a huge house with a large accompanying garden which is surrounded by 5-foot walls topped with barbed wire and masked by trees. The entryways are boarded over or gated and you can see lots of mirrors, floodlights, and even security cameras behind the trees. I never see anyone coming or going (though I don't really keep tabs on it), but I know someone lives there because trash is put out behind one of the gates. This house is rare in Tokyo because of the size (which is big even by Western standards, let alone Japanese ones), seclusion, and seemingly high focus on security. It has fascinated me for quite some time.

I'll miss walking by and wondering who lives in this neighborhood puzzle.